Sunday, September 25, 2011

Evaluation Update

Last time I updated everyone I was filling out the application for Alexander to be evaluated for Autism.  I sent in his application a month ago, and usually it takes 4-6 weeks to get a call with the appointment date which is usually 6-8 weeks out from there.  So, we were still looking at a 2-3 month wait from now.  I got a call last Monday from Tufts Floating Hospital in Boston (where Alexander will be evaluated) and they had a cancellation for the next day!  (Last Tuesday)  Well, I immediately took it.  Brad wasn't able to get off work with such short notice but Alexander's therapist, Heather, rearranged her entire day and came with me!  She even got to my house at 6 am.  I know, she's amazing!  The evaluation is done in 3 appointments.  The first one is basically a question/answer time with us and the pediatrician to get a better idea of our concerns and to get to know Alexander.  We were in a room with a double sided mirror and a couple of students and doctors were observing him while we were talking with the diagnostic pediatrician.  The second one is this Tuesday, the 27th.  That is the actual test and evaluation.  (Prayers please)  The third one is October 4th and we discuss the results.  (More prayers please!)
A lot of people have been asking me how I'm feeling.  It is so mixed, really.  On one hand I am so thrilled that he got in so soon, but on the other hand, oh my goodness.  My son is being evaluated for Autism.  Right now.  Not in the future.  It's not something we're just talking about anymore.  It's real.  It's hard.  It's scary and I have no idea how I'm going to handle this.  However, I know that God picked me to be Alexander's mom and Brad to be his dad.  God has been preparing me for this my whole life.  I have a peace from Him that we are ready as a family to deal with this and anything else that comes our way.  I feel strong as a mother, knowing that only the strong get "dealt a hand like this."  (At least that's what I tell myself!!!)  We have such a strong support system around us.  Between all of Alexander's therapists, our parents, other family, friends and people from church we are covered pretty much everywhere!  I will make sure to update the blog after next Tuesday and also the following Tuesday when we get the results.  Thank you for your specific prayers.  We love you and are so happy you are in our life!

hugs...

2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you guys as you begin all of this testing. You are an awesome mom! Alex is lucky to have you and Brad as parents. You are taking great steps to getting extra supports to surround your family! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. prayers for today and next week! thanks for the phone call today too

    ReplyDelete