Monday, June 6, 2011

Debate...does running or walking burn more fat?


So I was at my best friend's house yesterday for the afternoon.  I mentioned that I'm training to run a 5K to her husband, who is wonderful (love ya Jeff!), but THE most pessimistic man ever!  Of course he says he's a "realist" to which I promptly pointed out that, "We're not pessimists- we're realists" are on the cocktail napkins at their club!"  (I know I crack myself up too!)  ANYWAY, he said that walking burns more fat than running.  I couldn't wrap my head around that, so I looked it up!  I found some interesting conclusions...

-Running burns more calories than walking.
-However, the effects of running are worse on your body, so walking at least 5 mph is considered equal to running in some aspects.
-When you begin a workout your body is metabolizing carbohydrates, but as the minutes tick by you start burning fat--at minute 50 of light exercise, you're chugging along on a 75/25 fat/carb mix. Sixty percent of your maximum aerobic capacity (reached at roughly 75 percent of maximal heart rate, which is generally calculated as 220 minus your age) is optimal for fat burning; as exercise becomes increasingly strenuous you start burning more carbs.
-Running is certainly more of a workout per unit of time, but if your idea is that 15 minutes of running equals 30 minutes of walking, forget it--sustained exertion is the key.
-At any rate, calorie consumption isn't the chief goal of exercise; cardiovascular fitness is.


So, basically, I still have no idea!!!  Any thoughts?



2 comments:

  1. I'd say, if you're not 100% sure, then opt for the choice that is 100% safe and effective- a nap. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you change your oil every 3,000 miles, keep the gas full and wash the car now and then, it will last forever. but yes if you tune it up, change out factory parts for speed parts and put premium gas in it, it will perform even better. but what's wrong with getting from a to b with no problems? who needs to spend all the time and worry just to get a few more hp? The point is, eat healthy, exercise a few times a week, and you will be as healthier than 99% of americans.

    ReplyDelete